Monday, March 26, 2012

Normalization question

Hello,

I'm building an OLTP employee roster application, and I have the data model normalized, but I'm finding it challenging to update the data in all of the underlying tables via a web form and stored procedures. I'm getting the direction to keep things normalized, but I'm struggling with table updates.

Is it sound OLTP database practice to write records to a "roster_data" table that is a foreign key repository for all of the underlying tables (almost like a view without the update restrictions)? It would be much easier to manage this table of foreign keys (fact table) instead of writing several stored procedures to keep all of the related tables (dimensions) updated. (almost like a star schema in OLAP)

I know I'm being vague, but I would like to bounce off some OLTP experts.

Thanks,

Jim

What type of data is being changed?

Is it key data?

Would CASCADE UPDATE work?

More information, table DDL, etc., would be useful.

|||

Not that you are a beginner in normalization topic, but the following links should get you the idea in thsi regard:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=27785&rl=1 & http://www.sqlmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=4887

|||

Everyone,

My basic issue was keeping my underlying normalized data model updated via one VIEW, and I was running into the "can't updated more than one base table issue." After some research, I found the INSTEAD OF triggers -- this functionality will enable me to update all of my underyling tables using one VIEW.

Thanks everyone and have a great holiday!

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment